I would focus on housing affordability/availability, community safety and transportation. We need to established incentives for new development of rental housing.
Council has done little about the housing crisis. Families and seniors with health problems, We need more multi-bedroom rental units. developers prefer to build one-bedroom units that are more attractive to investors…
Affordable housing for families and seniors is lagging well behind the need. With rental vacancy rate at 0.6% in Richmond, we must increase the supply of affordable rental units. I support rental-only zoning, and “Gentle Density” to create smaller, more affordable home options.
Currently new developments are required by the City Hall to have a minimum of 5 in 80 units for affordable housing. Which does not meet the need of we need last year we have over 50% increase in request for affording housing.
With the rental vacancy rate at 0.6 percent in Richmond, we must increase the Supply of Affordable rental units. The Supply hasn’t increased rapidly enough to reduce rental rates.
Homelessness happens for many reasons “Sickness” “Layoffs” and “High Rents.
Council had done little about housing crisis. The supply has not increased rapidly to reduce High Rental Cost.
Currently new developments are required by the City Hall to have a minimum of 5 in 80 units for affordable housing. This does not meet the needs of our growing demographic.
- Minimum 2 bedroom units are in higher demand for Young Families, Students share rental cost with Roommates and people working from home need affordable multi bedroom rental Units.
- Unfortunately Developers prefer to build one-Bedroom units to attractive to investors, don’t considering the demand in the market.
- I will work with all levels of government to explore different options such as Laneway Houses, Coach Houses, and Smaller lots for Smaller Houses’.
- Support projects for Rental Only Zoning, “Gentle Density to create smaller and affordable home options.
- We need to be proactive for Housing needs and I will negotiate stronger deals with developers to ensure our housing needs are met.
- Advocate for more Affordable house in new development to meet the City Rapid Growth.